How do I setup location monitoring on mobile devices?
With Qustodio you can manage and track the location of Android and iOS mobile devices on a map. This feature works a bit differently on each platform. For question, troubleshooting or problems, please see the sections below.
What you will find in this FAQ:
- Android devices: Configuration and troubleshooting
- iOS devices: Configuration and troubleshooting
- Free vs. Premium location monitoring
- How can I view the location updates?
- How can I change the location update frequency
- How to deactivate location monitoring
Android Devices: How to activate Location Monitoring
Once you install Qustodio on an Android device, location monitoring is turned on by default. To make sure you have location monitoring enabled and working properly, visit Google Play from your child’s device and make sure you have the latest version of Qustodio.
To activate location monitoring on a new Android device, you must first download and install Qustodio from Google Play here on your child’s Android device. When you first install Qustodio on Android you’ll be prompted with instructions to login and associate the device with your Qustodio account.
If you don’t see your child’s mobile device in the list of Monitored Mobile devices, please double check the following:
- Does your device allow location services? On your child’s Android device, visit Settings > Location and be sure it is enabled.
- The device is running the latest version of the Android’s operating system. For most devices, you can update the operating system to the latest version in Settings > About Phone/Device > Software Update > Update. If you’re not sure how to do that, or can’t find this option, please refer to your mobile device user’s guide.
- You have downloaded and installed the latest version of Qustodio from the Google Play Store. To do so, please follow these instructions.
- You have correctly associated the child’s profile in Qustodio with the device in Settings > Devices > Edit device options. If you want to add a new child to your Qustodio account, please find how to do so here.
iOS Devices (BETA): How to activate Location Monitoring
Once you install and configure the Qustodio Safe Browser on an iOS device with your Qustodio account, location monitoring is turned on by default. Location will be reported to the Activity Timeline when the Qustodio Safe Browser is in use or has been recently used and is running in background.
Troubleshooting Tip: Due to the limitations of iOS, location can only be reported when the Qustodio Safe browser is running. If you restart the iOS device, or forcibly close the app, location monitoring will stop until Qustodio is restarted. To restart location monitoring you must click on the Qustodio app icon to restart the Qustodio Safe Browser.
Recommendation: To ensure that Qustodio Safe Browser is used frequently, configure Qustodio Safe Browser as the default browser on each iOS device by following these instructions.
Minimum system requirements for iOS: iOS 7.1
To download Qustodio for iOS visit this link: https://itunes.apple.com/app/qustodio-safe-browser/id654924932
If you’ve followed the instructions above and you don’t see your child’s iOS device in the list of Monitored Mobile devices, please double check the following:
- Does your device allow location services? On your child’s iOS device, visit Settings > Privacy > Location Services and be sure it is enabled. In the same screen scroll down to the Qustodio Safe Browser in the list and be sure that it is enabled there as well.
- The device is running the latest version of the Apple’s iOS operating system. The minimum required version for Qustodio Location monitoring to work is iOS 7.1. For most devices, you can update the operating system to the latest version in Settings > General > Software Update. If you’re not sure how to do that, or can’t find this option, please refer to your mobile device user’s guide.
- You have downloaded and installed the latest version of Qustodio from the Apple App Store here https://itunes.apple.com/app/qustodio-safe-browser/id654924932.
- You have correctly associated the child’s profile in the Qustodio management portal with the device in Settings > Devices > Edit device options. If you want to add a new child to your Qustodio account, please find how to do so here.
Free vs. Premium Location Monitoring
The free version of Qustodio will place an alert in your child’s activity timeline each time your child’s device location has changed, however you will not be able to view the actual location. The premium version of Qustodio will allow you to open a map to view each of the locations reported by Qustodio.
How can I view the location updates?
Visit the Activity Timeline tab in your Family Portal. Each time your device changes location you’ll see an entry in the Activity Timeline tab. If the device hasn’t changed location since the last time Qustodio checked, you won’t see any updates in the activity timeline until the device moves to a new location.
How can I change the Location update frequency
You can ask Qustodio to contact your device more often than once per hour by visiting your Family Portal and then going into your child’s tab and choose Rules > Location Monitoring. Here you’ll find a time selector where you can choose how often Qustodio should ask your device for location.
By default Qustodio will try to contact your device every 1 hour to find its location. If your device hasn’t moved since we last checked, you won’t see any location update in the activity timeline until it changes position.
Battery Saving Tip: Choosing a longer update frequency of such as each 1 hour may increase your battery life vs. selecting a shorter update frequency of, for example, every 5 minutes.
How to deactivate Location Monitoring
To deactivate this option, you can simply visit your Family Portal and then go into your child’s tab and choose Rules > Location Monitoring. Turn off the switch that enables location monitoring.
Note. This feature is only available to Premium users.